Tim Johnson’s Ride on Chicago (formerly Tim Johnson’s Ride on Washington) is preparing for the annual five-day bike tour benefiting PeopleForBikes. Champion cyclocross racer Tim Johnson and 24 other riders, including world-champion athletes, journalists and business executives, will pedal through the Midwest, from Kansas City to Chicago, on May 29 to June 2.
Founded in 2011, the ride has raised nearly $200,000 for the national bike nonprofit PeopleForBikes, helping to build more safe and appealing places for people to bike. The ride has also increased awareness for bike advocacy amongst the racing and enthusiast communities.
The ride is moving west from its former route that started in Boston and ended in Washington D.C. This year, riders are anticipating an all-new, 550-mile route through the Midwest. Riders will pedal an impressive 100-130 miles per day to complete their journey in only five days. Please welcome riders as they pass through five stopover cities and towns.
”This is an exciting year for our ride. Riding from Kansas City to Chicago, I’m looking forward to engaging people from racing community and meeting new faces involved in advocacy,” said ride founder Tim Johnson.
Ride sponsors include SRAM, Cannondale, ABUS Locks, Firefly Bicycles, Whole Foods, Skratch Labs, Volkswagen of America, Strava, New Belgium Brewing, Skoop, and Tenzing Wine & Spirits.
On June 2, the public is invited to pedal the final miles with the group as they ride through Chicago and finish in Millenium Park. Final details on where and when to meet the ride are below. To learn more about the ride or see a detailed route, visit RideOnChicago.org.
Kansas City Kickoff
- Join for a public 5-10 mile ride departing Kansas City.
- Where: The Ewing and Muriel Kauffman Memorial Garden, 4800 Rockhill Rd, Kansas City, MO 64110
- When: Thursday, May 29. Coffee and mingling: 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. Ride start: 8:00 a.m.
St. Louis Party
- Join the ride for an evening party in St. Louis
- Where: St. Louis Bike Works, 2414 Menard Street, St. Louis, MO
- When: Friday, May 30 at 7:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Final ride into Chicago
- Join riders as they enter Chicago on June 2. No spandex required! Meet us at the start, finish, or along the route:
- 7:15 AM – Meet at Fairfield Inn Joliet North, 3239 Norman Ave, Joliet, IL
- 8:00 Mile 0 Leave hotel in Joliet
- 11:00 Mile 44.5 Arrive at Douglas Park
- 11:30 Mile 44.5 Depart Douglas Park
- 11:55 Mile 47.5 Paulina and 18th Divvy Station
- 12:00 Mile 48.7 Halsted and 18th Divvy Station
- 12:10 Mile 50.5 Wabash and Roosevelt Divvy
- 12:20 Mile 51.9 Arrive at Millenium Park Bean!
- 1:00 Depart Millenium Park