While you can debate whether an e-bike is a “real” bike or not until your batteries are dead, we think cargo bikes are a perfect application for the latest electric assist technology. Yuba does too, and offers versions of both its Mundo long-tail cargo bike and Boda Boda “mid-tail” with the Bion-X drive system.
This summer the company will take them on tour to 20 cities across the country to give folks a chance to experience them firsthand. Even the cynical bike journalists here at Bicycle Times got have gotten plugged in to e-bikes after spending time on them. Yuba says the goal is to give parents, small business owners and others a chance to sample the bikes in their own community so they can get a better idea of how they can replace a car or other vehicle.
Yuba says the first leg of the year-long “Power Up” tour will visit Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix, Austin, Dallas, New Orleans, Tampa, Miami, Atlanta and many more cities between. It is also planning to visit several festivals and bike shops on the way, including Kiddical Mass in Houston, Phoenix, Atlanta and Miami. It will also join rides with the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition and the South Florida Bike Coalition and join a Save Haiti fundraiser ride in Miami as well as the annual Blinkie Awards in Atlanta.
If your tots are a little small to be piloting a cargo bike of their own, Yuba will also have the Flip Flop balance bike available to demo, and you can compare the electric-assist bikes back-to-back with their pedal-powered versions.
All event dates
- San Luis Obispo, California: January 17, 2015
- Santa Barbara, California: January 18, 2015
- San Diego, California: January 22, 2015
- Phoenix, Arizona: January 24,2015
- Tucson, Arizona: January 25, 2015
- San Antonio, Texas: January 28, 2015
- Austin, Texas: January 29, 2015
- Houston, Texas: January 31, 2015
- New Orleans, Louisiana: February 2, 2015
- Mobile, Alabama: February 3, 2015
- Pensacola, Florida: February 3, 2015
- St. Petersburg, Florida: February 4, 2015
- Sarasota, Florida: February 5, 2015
- Naples, Florida: February 6, 2015
- Fort Myers, Florida: February 7, 2015
- Miami, Florida: February 8, 2015
- Jacksonville, Florida: February 11, 2015
- Savannah, Georgia: February 12, 2015
- Atlanta, Georgia: February 14, 2015
- Chattanooga, Tennessee: February 15, 2015
- Nashville, Tennessee: February 16, 2015
- Memphis, Tennessee: February 17, 2015
- Little Rock, Arkasas: February 18, 205
- Dallas, Texas: February 19, 2015
- Flagstaff, Arizona: February 19, 2015
- Albuquerque, New Mexico: February 21, 2015