San Francisco’s popular Sunday Streets mini-festivals are back for 2011, with eight monthly dates scheduled throughout the city. By closing roads to traffic, the program lets people enjoy the city’s neighborhoods in new ways.
The program started in 2008 with two events that connected Chinatown to the Bayview with a 4.5-mile route from Portsmouth Square in Chinatown along the Embarcadero to the Bayview Opera House on 3rd Street. In 2009, Sunday Streets featured six events on four routes, including the Embarcadero, Bayview, Mission and Great Highway.
The 2011 schedule is as follows (subject to change)
- March 20: kick off event along the Embarcadero from Fisherman’s Wharf to Mission Bay;
- April 10: Great Highway and Golden Gate Park; ‘Penguins to Penguins’:
- May 8: Mission route, including the popular route along 24th and Valencia Streets;
- June 12: Bayview route, 3rd Street from Mission Bay, Dogpatch to the Bayview Opera House;
- July 10: Great Highway route #2;
- August 14: Civic Center/Tenderloin route;
- September 11: Western Addition route, including North of Panhandle, Alamo Square and Fillmore and Japantown neighborhoods;
- October TBD; Mission route #2