Today, the League of American Bicyclists announced 80 new and renewing Bicycle Friendly Businesses (BFB) in 29 states and Washington, D.C. These new awardees join a trendsetting group of almost 700 local businesses, government agencies and Fortune 500 companies in 46 states and D.C. that are transforming the American workplace. Bicycle Friendly Businesses encourage a more bicycle-friendly atmosphere for employees and customers alike. BFBs attract and retain energized, alert and productive employees, while decreasing healthcare costs.
This round, Target Corp. became the first Fortune 100 company to receive the Platinum-level award. The 375,000-employee company, with 10,000 workers at its Minneapolis, Minn., headquarters, has invested an impressive amount into becoming bike friendly. Target has developed incentives to ride through its ZAP program, offers free Nice Ride bikeshare memberships, is home to top-notch bike facilities, offers free onsite bike repairs, monthly safe riding and maintenance classes, employs a full-time bicycle coordinator, and more!
Leading the charge among tech companies is Facebook, which moved up this round by receiving a Platinum-level award, only one of about a dozen businesses to hold that designation.
Also working to transform its large campus, 3M set a goal of becoming a Bicycle Friendly Business after its strong showing in the 2013 National Bike Challenge. The company, with 10,000 employees working at its St. Paul, Minn., headquarters, received the Bronze-level award today.
LinkedIn, the world’s largest professional network, promotes the fun of bicycling by hosting guided theme rides (i.e. Gobble Wobble around Thanksgiving, Winter Wonderland in January) for employees, who have free access to a corporate bike fleet of about 200. The company is planning to replace and enlarge the bike fleet, which employees can use between campuses in Sunnyvale and Mountain View, Calif., later this year.
Bicycle Times and its parent company, Rotating Mass Media, is proud to be a Gold level Bicycle Friendly Business.
New and Renewing Bicycle Friendly Businesses, Spring 2014
- Santa Monica Bike Center
- Target Corp
- The Burke Group
- Bicycle Indiana, Inc.
- Bike Pittsburgh
- Bike Tech
- City of Santa Monica
- Dream Ride Projects
- Gator Cycle
- Hopworks Urban Brewery
- LinkedIn Corporation
- MIT Lincoln Lab
- National Public Radio (NPR)
- Sacramento Area Bicycle Advocates
- Smith’s Cycling and Fitness
- University of Minnesota Twin Cities
- Wheat Ridge Cyclery
- Areal Restaurant
- Borealis Bikes
- Cambia Health Solutions
- Continental Ski and Bike
- Crossroads School for Arts and Sciences
- Damon Farber Associates
- Delaware Department of Transportation, Dover Adminstration Building
- Duluth Area Family YMCA
- Health District of Northern Larimer County
- Catalyst Communication
- Lexmark International, Inc.
- OTB at the North Park Boathouse
- OTB Bicycle Cafe
- Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
- Physicians Mutual
- Red Hat
- Red Hen Baking Co.
- REI Greenville
- River Trail Cycles
- SAP Labs, LLC. (Palo Alto)
- Scott’s Bicycle Centre
- Spokes Etc. Bicycles
- Squire Sanders (US) LLP – Cleveland
- The LIVESTRONG Foundation
- Twin Ports Cyclery
- West Central Initiative
- ACT, Inc.
- Allegheny County Medical Examiner’s Office
- Arkansas Foundation for Medical Care
- Barr Engineering Co
- Carson City Health and Human Services
- City of Boise
- City of Richmond
- Dow AgroSciences
- Duluth Coffee Company
- evolve environment::architecture
- FHWA – Western Federal Lands Highway Division
- Fox Music House
- Golden Triangle Bike Rental
- Huntington Beach Chamber of Commerce
- Infirmary Health
- Inman Insurance llc
- IU Ball Memorial Hospital
- Little Falls Convention and Visitors Bureau
- Madison Metropolitan Sewerage District
- Mutual of Omaha Insurance Company
- Oakland Planning and Development Corporation
- Pennsylvania Brewing Co.
- Rockford Construction
- Ski Hut East
- Ski Hut West
- SMC Corporation of America
- The Lancaster Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Thrivent Financial for Lutherans
- Weber Advertising & Marketing