On September 25th, 2009 Bikes not Bombs (BNB) will celebrate 25 years of accomplishments and recognize BNB’s founder and current International Programs Director, Carl Kurz, before he departs for a two-year sabbatical.
BNB was born on July 4th, 1984 on a flight from Boston to Managua, Nicaragua. Carl Kurz was on board with two bicycles, brought south to support health workers, labor unions and teachers working to rebuild a land ravaged by war. From those modest roots, BNB has grown to an organization that has shipped thirty eight thousand bicycles to Latin America, the Caribbean, and Africa since 1984. Thousands of local youth have been empowered by BNB’s Boston youth programs since 1990.
The party will feature:
- Live music!
- A special auction of framed BNB photographs
- Fresh, local food from Vanguarden Farm
- Food prepared by Executive Chef Brian Sway of Hingham’s Scarlet Oak Tavern
- Dessert (baklavah!) by Chef Amir Sedhom of Amir’s Caterers
- Beer by Sam Adams
- Valet bike parking by MassBike
Tickets are available online or at the BNB Bike Shop in Jamaica Plain. They are priced on a sliding scale: $50, $85, or $100. More information is available at www.bikesnotbombs.org/25years.Tweet Print