Bike New York kicks off Bike Month with the inaugural Bike Expo New York presented by Eastern Mountain Sports this weekend, May 3-5.
The free three-day event offers New York residents, visitors and riders in the 35th Annual Five Boro Bike Tour an unprecedented look at urban cycling against the backdrop of New York City. The Expo will feature free bicycle classes for kids and adults, local and national vendors, performances, bike fashion shows, BMX stunts, hands-on programming and much more. BE NY will be the first Expo to focus on bike education, as NYC residents and bicyclists prepare for the highly anticipated bike share program.
The expo will also include exhibitors from across the bicycle community, including Raleigh America, Cannondale, People for Bikes, Fuji, Shimano, Timbuk2, Pearl Izumi, Primal Wear, Thule, Osprey, Terry Bicycles, Nutcase, and more. The Expo is supported by presenting sponsor Eastern Mountain Sports and the NYC Department of Transportation, co-producer of the TD Five Boro Bike Tour. NYC DOT will be on hand promoting bicycle projects and initiatives.
As the official producer of the largest bike tour in the U.S., Bike New York will host a rider packet pick-up area at the expo for more than 30,000 TD Five Boro Bike Tour participants. With the Tour riders attending the Expo, Bike New York anticipates the three-day event to be the nation’s most attended bike expo.
Date & Programming Highlights:
Thursday, May 3rd, 2012: 12:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- KiwiSweat spin classes all three days on the Pier terrace overlooking the East River and Manhattan Bridge
- Mountain Biking in New York City presented by New York City Mountain Bike Association all three days
- Action Sports Showcase, featuring outdoor BMX stunts all three days. (Also open to the public.)
- Fastest Mechanic Competition (Amateur) presented by Eastern Mountain Sports
- Introduction to Bicycle Touring presented by Eastern Mountain Sports (Thurs. & Fri.)
- How to Fix a Flat by Eastern Mountain Sports
- Author David Herlihy talks about his book The Lost Cyclist
Friday, May 4th, 2012: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- The Living Band – rock band biking across the U.S. for their tour
- Getting Women Comfortable on Bikes presented by Terry Bicycles (Fri. & Sat.)
- Taming the Bike Commute Beast presented by Mike Wallenfels, CEO of Timbuk2 (Fri. & Sat.)
- Streetfilms screening (Fri. & Sat.)
Saturday, May 5th, 2012: 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Bike New York’s Learn to Ride – Kids & Adult classes
- Be Chic, BE NY Fashion Show presented by Momentum Magazine
- Bike Snob talks about his new book The Enlightened Cyclist
- Fastest Mechanic Competition (Pro) presented by Eastern Mountain Sports
For a full schedule of programming and events, visit www.bikeexponewyork.org.
Location: Pier 36, Basketball City, New York, NY (Located along the East River at South Street and Montgomery Street)